Sunday, April 1, 2007

Fancy Party

Wow! We had the nuttiest weekend at our house. We went to they gym, attended a birthday party, visited a potential new housepet, took part in a "fancy party" and saw a concert. And that was just Saturday!

Saturday afternoon I took my daughter, who is three, to a "fancy party" at a local bookstore to celebrate the author of a book called Fancy Nancy, about a little girl who likes to make everything fancy schmancy. When I told Abby she could put on something fancy to wear to the party she immediately ran upstairs to find just the right outfit. I couldn't wait to see what she would choose. This girl definitely has a thing about fashion. I wonder where she gets it?

Abby used to have a habit of trying to wear everything in her closet at one time. We would wake her from her nap and she would be wearing 4 pairs of pants and 6 shirts. That morphed into changing her clothes up to seven times a day. And that morphed into this obsession with dresses and tights. For the past 9 months, Abby has insisted that she wear only dresses and tights every day. EVERY DAY. You have no idea how annoying it is to put a toddler in a dress with tights when the temperature outside is below zero! She is finally getting over it, and even wore jeans to school this week.

Back to the fancy party...Abby came running downstairs wearing a fairy costume. I didn't think it was quite fancy enough, so I sent her upstairs to find something even fancier. This time she did me proud, wearing a beautiful party dress in aqua and chocolate brown, with sparkly loafers and a faux pearl necklace and bracelet. Off we went to the fancy party. When we got there, the party was in full swing and Abby proudly joined the parade around the store. As I watched all the little girls parading around the store, I could see that fancy meant something different to each girl there. But they all had the right idea. It was very amusing to see what each of these girls had picked to wear. It's interesting to see how a child's imagination works, and how each girl imagined being "fancy." Of course, Abby was the most stylish of the bunch. When we got home, she took off her fancy dress, put on shorts and a t-shirt and said, "fancy was fun, but now I am playing soccer!" And I was glad that she was ready to be three again.

No comments: