Thursday, December 6, 2007

When You Don't Have the Words

I try not to write about anything of any substance on this blog. This is my fun place. But sometimes I just can't help myself, and it really doesn't seem appropriate to write about anything else in this space, which is usually reserved for thoughts on shopping and style.

Here in Omaha, we've got some pretty decent shopping. We have the usual big chain stores and some very nice boutiques. For the most part our department stores are lacking, with one exception: Von Maur. Von Maur is one of my favorite places to shop. Their shoe department is fabulous, I love the contemporary fashion section (where I got my petite Joe's Jeans) and the handbag section and cosmetic sections are also noteworthy. The Von Maur employees are top notch - always courteous, knowledgeable and smiling.

For those of you who live under a rock, a massive shooting took place at our Von Maur store yesterday. At the end of six horrific minutes, nine people were dead, including the gunman. If you want to read more about this tragedy you can log on to www.omaha.com and read full details. I wish I could eloquently write about my feelings on this topic. Unfortunately, there aren't words in the English language that would allow me to appropriately say what I think.

I hope that we can all find our way back to Von Maur. I know it will take time before I am ready to go there, and while the first trip will be scary, I think it is very important to support the store and show people everywhere that we will not let one troubled person ruin one of our great retail destinations. We can't let this guy with his gun win. We just can't. And, we won't.

No comments: